Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Book Snob

Unlike some people, I enjoy watching the previews for movies before the feature film...most of the time. I am an avid reader so when I hear of a movie that is being released that is originally a bestseller or literary classic...I gringe...but try my best to give the director the benefit of a doubt that they will not destroy a good read...i.e. Cormac McCarthy's novel "The Road" or Anothy Burgess' novel "A Clockwork Orange."

SO, naturally, when I first saw a preview for Stieg Larsson's first novel of the Millennium trilogy, "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" I almost
threw up in my mouth a little bit. I must say the preview did look

accurate based on what I saw...HOWEVER I have been let down before. I understand that directors would like to change up a few things here and there because of course it is their movie. Although if they change so much...don't name it after the book! Need I mention Troy?? Brad Pitt's thighs almost made up for the fact that the movie completely massacred the Iliad. I have witnessed plot discrepancies all the way to changes to the ending which most of the time, is in poor taste. As a writer, I can only imagine how these authors must feel when those in the film industry turn their masterpiece into some Tom Hanks starring, halfass blockbuster.

Below is a list of my top 10 worst movie adaptations of all time..or at least ones that I can think of right now...

1. Troy (2004)
2. The Golden Compass (2007)
3. The Da Vinci Code (2006)
4. Memoirs of A Geisha (2005)
5. How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
6. Running With Scissors (2006)
7. The Road (2009)
8. The Scarlet Letter (1995)
9. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
10. The Mist (2007)


Book-to-movie adaptations aside, The film industry needs a good overhaul starting with original thought? I don't know how many remakes I can handle. The most recent remake I'm aware of is Footloose...WHY?! The original was good enough. I swear if any of John Hughes movies are remade....I will picket any movie theater showing them and of course cry a little bit. Didn't we learn our lesson in 2001 with Planet of the Apes? Wretched.

I will take my leap of faith though and still see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in December...with James Bond with the starring role...shit I have my doubts.

2 comments:

  1. I was clearly disappointed by Running with Scissors, though the author did say it was very similar to what it really looked like. Seemed very ill represented and kind of cheaply made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with the #1. Could have been an epic trilogy but instead they changed the entire story and ruined it all...

    ReplyDelete