Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

United We Stand: Remembering 9/11

Just how people will never forget where they were and what they were doing when Kennedy was assassinated, my generation among others will never forget where they were when the 9/11 attacks occurred 10 years ago. I remember I was in eighth grade at North Middle School going to my social studies class. I walked in with one of my friends and my teacher had the TV on when we saw a plane hit the second tower...we thought it was some kind of movie. Because a tragedy such as this only happens in movies right? It's not real. But that day, it was...my teacher told us to sit down and watch because we'll never forget this moment in history for the rest of our lives. So we watched. We watched and of course just couldn't understand the magnitude of what we were witnessing. Some teachers were ordered to turn off their televisions in fear that it would cause panic and others ignored the order. Tomorrow, the National September 11th Memorial and Museum will be open to the public remembering those who have fallen. I know there are mixed feelings about the memorial and how nothing can really define or encapsulate the tragedy that happened that day, however I think it is quite amazing what has been done to make sure we always remember and that we have a place where we can all reflect at ground zero.

Below is a video of retired firefighter, Lee Lelpi and his explanation as to what 9/11 means to him. His son was one of the 343 New York firefighters who died at the World Trade Centre.




My heart goes out to all of the victims' families. United we stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment