Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

Thankful

Let the holidays begin!! This year my parents hosted Thanksgiving and it was a wonderful affair. I helped my mom prepare the food while watching the Macy's Day parade (it's tradition). There truly is nothing better than reflecting how lucky I am to have such an amazing family and friends over delicious food! However, I was very conscious and aware of the average weight gain a person packs on over this holiday and I vowed that there would be NONE of that going on. Well sure a little, but not 10lbs to 15lbs worth! The turkey my mom prepared was nothing short of delicious.


Along with the turkey, I packed my plate full of my mom's classic broccoli-cheddar casserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, cranberries and rolls. Unfortunately the Swedish meatballs just did not make their way to the table this year. There was simply not enough time to make them...so sad. Although more disappointing than the missing meatballs was the absence of my brother-in-law. Because Target decided to open so early on Thanksgiving DAY, he had to rest up so he would be ready to handle the crazy Black Friday people. I think it's so awful that these businesses are opening earlier and earlier to the point where their employees can't even celebrate Thanksgiving with their families. The people who opt out of being with their families on Thanksgiving to cash in on a good deal for a TV is even more sickening. I don't know about anyone else, but spending time with my family is WAY more important than getting THINGS. 


After our tummies full of turkey settled, my cousin who is a pastry chef, brought a pumpkin pie and an apple pie topped with a type of apple crisp and caramel.  Both of them were to die for.


I had to have a little taste of each one...not going to lie. I was banking on going to the gym early in the morning anyway to help reverse the damage that was already done. Bring on the pie.


Once everyone ate, had coffee and engaged in some meaningful conversations they all departed and left. I decided to opt out of the Black Friday madness and stick to online shopping the following day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment